Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Time in L-Town

Tonight a friend of mine from CharlotteONE came to visit me in my hometown. It doesn't much compare to the big city of Charlotte so not many people are ever much interested in seeing where I call home, not for my friend, Cathy though :). Cathy drove about an hour away to come spend the evening with me, just because. We met at a local bakery/coffee shop downtown, went for a walk and dilly-dallied through shops along the square. After all that, we headed to the famous "Bar-B-Q-King" restaurant in town. We both got the half plate of bbq which came with NC BBQ, fries, hushpuppies, and cole slaw. We made sure to also grab a nice cold sweet tea to go with our meals:) Having her come to my town, was a neat treat . I love the big cities don't get me wrong but I also love having connections with people in a small town. Investing time into people brings me happiness. Throughout our short-lived events along the night, there was someone at almost every stop I knew. I'm serious. The cashier at the bakery attended my church, the cashier at a local shop downtown was my elementary school art teacher, another couple at the restaurant I saw attended my church and on my way home my dad honked at me while he passed by, haha. Gotta love a small town. I didn't always like it and still at times don't but over the years, I've learned more how much I appreciate seeing familiar, friendly faces. Oh, and before I met up with her, the cashier at CVS asked me how my mom was.

All in all, it was nice having a friend of mine from CharlotteONE come to visit my small town roots and actually enjoy it.

She even liked swinging on my front porch swing at my house:) If only the main road weren't so close, it'd be close to perfect.

Well, just wanted to share the fun-filled night with my friend, Cathy.

Take time to count the small blessings in your life whether it's a friend who drove to see you, a familiar face or a hot meal. They're all great gifts from God :)

Be blessed.

2 comments:

Katie Axelson said...

I've only had one friend from school brave the 900 miles to visit me (yay, Amber!), but it was awesome having her here and being able to show off parts of my life. To introduce her all the people she knew by name but had never met. To retell stories in the proper setting.

<>< Katie

Casey said...

Ha, I love small towns for a short visits, but I don't think I'd like living in one year round. I had to find a big city every few weeks at school to keep from going crazy!Sounds like you had fun. :D